Yesterday I had a bad experience upgrading my iPhone 3g to iOS4. My issue was that the mandatory back-up step would stall, indefinitely. With the help of some of my friends (who were online last night at 2:30am) I was able to hack my way thru the upgrade.
Here are the simple steps to get your 3g iPhone upgraded to iOS4:
1. Attach your iPhone 3g to your computer using the USB sync cable.
2. Download the upgrade for iOS4 into iTunes, but don’t try to install it on your phone.
3. Within iTunes click the restore, this is found under the iPhone/Summary page. The new iOS4 will install with this step.
Please note that so far the only new things that I have discovered that the new iOS4 delivers to a 3g iPhone are:
1. Unified eMail inbox (pretty cool)
2. Sync for contacts no longer limited to Microsoft Exchange – and is available on services like Yahoo Mail (I haven’t tested this yet)
3. iBooks is available
4. iTunes now supports Playlist Creation
The upgrade on the 3g device doesn’t allow for most the bigger upgrade items like multitasking & folder creation.
Big thanks to Mitchell Aidelbaum (@maidelba)